Close

February 13, 2021

This Is The Next Man Expected to Win The Crossfit Games (Poll Results)

crossfit games 2021

On February 2nd 5x Crossfit Games champion Mat Fraser announced that he is retiring from the sport, which immediately brought everyone to wonder who is next on top.

Interestingly enough whoever wins in 2021 will be only the 4th male athlete to win the Crossfit Games in the past 11 years.

  • Rich Froning: (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
  • Ben Smith: (2015)
  • Mat Fraser: (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)

To get a sense of what the community was thinking we took to Instagram and asked our followers who they believe will be the next champion.

Results are below


This Is The Next Man Expected to Win The Crossfit Games

These 4 athletes were the 4 favorites but they only made up 70% of the vote, while the other 30% included names like:

  • Samuel Kwant: (7%)
  • Brent Fikowski: (5%)
  • Scott Panchik: (5%)
  • Jacob Heppner: (3%)
  • Cole Sager: (2%)
  • Others: (8% total)

rogue echo bike

Gudmundsson

Its no surprise that Gudmundsson is the favorite to take the throne since he has finished inside of the top 8 at the Games for the past 6 years, including two 3rd place finishes.

Vellner

Not far behind is Patrick Vellner who exploded onto the Games scene with three straight podium finishes and four top 10 finishes in the past 5 years.

Not only that, but Vellner also gave Fraser some trouble in multiple Sanctionals.

Medeiros

Finishing on the podium as a 21 year old rookie is a great way to start your Crossfit Games career. Medeiros has a lot of potential and is in a great spot to dominate for the next few years as athletes like Vellner and Ohlsen enter their 30’s.

Ohlsen

Not only did Ohlsen get close to beating Fraser in 2019, he also has finished inside of the top eight for 6 out of the past 7 years.

With less points being taken away by Fraser during each event Ohlsen may very well likely snatch those up.


The Best Crossfit Grips 2021
The Open is now less than 1 month away.

Do you agree with the community or did you have someone else in mind? Let us know below or on our Instagram page.

READ NEXT

11 Crazy Stats From The 2020 Crossfit Games

10 Reasons Why Crossfit IS a Sport